Friday 22 April 2016

Silk Screen Workshop

Today I took part in a Silk screen printing workshop, I found the workshop very beneficial as it helped me to critically analyse my design and learn about the process of putting it from the computerized image to the material.
There where many positives and negatives I learned about the work process that I would have to go through in order to create printed items for my magazine. The whole process of printing was fascinating, the fact that you can create a design by hand and print onto almost any material. I enjoyed learning about  all the do's and dont's when it comes to silk screen printing. When I was there I also got to see a lot of other peoples work, many of which where from experienced Print and Textile designers, this gave me a lot of ideas and inspiration for my own work. Every pattern was unique , I even saw some typography prints. Before the workshop I made some designs of my own and printed it onto acetate, I started from drawing a rough sketch then scanning them in onto the computer and editing the image. I got to talk to the workshop leader about my work and manage to get a lot of advice from her, from looking at other peoples prints I noticed that there work was detailed but bold, the lines where very clear and prominent. We where looking at my design and we came to the conclusion that there was still work and development to do, if you look at the design I made below, you will see that the lines are quite thin and they look even thinner when printed onto acetate. For the ink to come through clearly the pattern needs to be very black when it is on the acetate, and the lines need to be a bit thicker to allow more ink through. 
 This is my initial sketch, and below is my final design that I need to develop.




This is the design printed onto acetate.

No comments:

Post a Comment