Sunday 1 May 2016

Print Making process

On Friday I went for a silk screen printing session, this time I was able to use my own design and actually do it all myself as the last session was an induction. I had to apply everything that I learned and put it into practice for this time.
I transffered my design onto the screen before hand, by using a vacuum machine that uses light to transfer acetate your design to the screen. After doing this I then washed the screen on both sides to reveal my design.


I checked my design against the light to make sure the design is clear with no existing splodges on the screen .

I chose the ink's that I wanted to use by matching colours that work well together, I also ironed my material to make sure the ink spreads evenly with no creases.

I also tested the inks with a paint brush and used my sketch book to brush the colour on, this helped me to see how the colour would turn out on my material, and if any colours didn't work together.


I then put the ink onto the screen and used more than one colour at a time to create a marble effect.
          

I felt that this worked well but I didn't use enough ink the first time and I had to scrape the ink down more than once to make sure the ink had come through the mesh properly. But as a result of this it made the ink bleed.

 These are my finished prints, I felt that the process worked really well and it made me more confident in printing and doing it myself. I plan to make purses out of my prints.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment