Tuesday 1 March 2016

Bristol Trip








We went to bristol for the day to look the John Akomfrah exhibition and some of Banksy's art work. The exhibition by John Akomfrah was called the Vertigo sea, it is a series of films that address important issues and themes. Some of these themes included slavery and animal cruelty.
I recorded how I felt about the films as I watched them by asking myself questions that would help me to critique his work, then I read the information leaflets about what the exhibition was about so I could understand it in more depth. The Vertigo sea video was strange, it was dramatic and the picture was crisp and very vibrant in colour. The sound had a strong impact on the vibe of the room, it created its own atmosphere. The films distorted views of things that you see in the world such as fish rotting on the ground and whales being hunted instead of swimming in the ocean. It showed the relationship between man and animals and how man dominates over animals, it also showed the negative effects this can have such as greed, money and power. The film was shown on three different screens, each one related to another. I felt that John Akomfrah wanted his viewers to connect personaly with his exhibition, and each person would see a different thing to someone else. This meant that each person would interpret his work differently and I would mean something different to them on a personal level depending on what screens they where looking at at a certain time. I also felt that this made his work gripping as your eyes where constantly drawn to something different every second.


No comments:

Post a Comment